My "Want List" for Baby C...

All my life, I've been a planner.  A list-maker.  Someone who feels it absolutely necessary to prepare for every little detail and/or potential mishap.  Despite how badly I want to have a free-spirited soul, I'm Type A, through and through.

Because of this personality trait, I could have never imagined that I wouldn't want to be as prepared as absolutely possible for the BIGGEST event in my life:  having a baby.  However, after the "OMG we're going to be parents" shock wore off and Michael and I spoke about the pregnancy, we agreed on one thing right away:  we didn't want to have the sex of the baby revealed to us ahead of time. (But I reserved the right to change my mind at any poing, just in case...)

Here we are, almost into Week 30, and not knowing has been so easy.   One of the most fun things about NOT learning the sex of our baby is that it drives everyone absolutely crazy!  It's also been fun to hear everyone's opinions on Boy vs. Girl (and generally, others' opinions during pregnancy are NOT so fun...).  While I have absolutely no preference as to Boy vs. Girl, as we get closer to the big due date I have started thinking more and more about what I do "want" for Baby C...

Naturally,  health is the most important thing.  When I used to hear parents-to-be say "We just want it healthy!" inner-me would roll my eyes and scream "cliche!"  I mean, that's an obvious answer, right?  Well... inner-me feels bad for all of those eye rolls.  I get it now.  It isn't cliche.  It is EVERYTHING.  Even being a worrier and a planner, I could never have imagined all of the crazy things that could go "wrong" during a pregnancy.  I never imagined the number of little things that could happen that could cause birth defects, loss of pregnancy, etc.  It's overwhelming,  Once again, as an act so very out-of-character for me, Michael and I decided not to get the Multiple Marker testing done at week 12.  We didn't want to know the sex, and we didn't see the point in paying out-of-pocket for the test.  Without it ever being discussed, we both knew that it wouldn't matter what the tests showed.   No "potential indication of a problem" was going to change the fact that we were going to have this baby. We believe there is no "going wrong" with this pregnancy.  Whatever was going to happen or not happen is God's plan for us, so we pur our Faith in that and forged ahead without testing.  I've been as "by the book" as I have been able to be, and Health is the most important thing we want and pray for, daily.

After that, everything else (especially the sex) seems trivial - but it's still been fun to think about!   It's also been a true testiment to how absolutely crazy I am about its father, because with every trait I can think of, I pray it takes after Michael.

I want it to have his hair. (The GOOD hair of us two, no doubt)...
I want it to have his eyes.
I want it to have his smile (The biggest and best grin I've ever seen).
I want it to have his patience.
I want it to have his laid-back attitude.
I want it to inherit his athletic ability (Rather than my LACK thereof)...
I want it to have his kindness.
I want it to get Michael's ability to be quiet, rather than my constant need and obsession with chatter.
I want it to have his love of learning about anything and everything (even though I sometimes poke fun of Michael for this- I mean, he watches some of the WEIRDEST things on TV...).
I want it to have his level-head.
I want it to have his work ethic.
I want it to get his love for the water.
I want it to get his laugh (My favorite sound in the world).
I want it to have his love of good food (and not just the junk that I love so much).
I want it to be his best friend, and I want it to adore him as much as I do- and I have no doubt this will be the case.

If I get my way, I really won't give this Baby much of "me," and that's OK.  I feel like I'm giving it the best gift I can in Michael as its father, and that is the very best thing of all.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quarantine Connection.

Are you a pod(cast) person?

This Week//Next Week